Sunday, March 14, 2010

And then there were 5 Reflections

Google is an interesting site, but I do not think that it would have listed the websites that were used in the past weeks. Google only shows the top most used sites for the information that is searched. There might be some coincidences that a site that we used in the class is within the top 10. There are so many different websites for each subject these days.

I think that people when researching look for sites that end in .edu or .org to determine if they can use the site. Most people understand that .com and .net are people operated sites, not institutions. I think that people should use databases from library websites to do their research because the sites that are listed have been evaluated for the most information on a key subject.

I found that the Cornell University Library has a section on their webpage dedicated to evaluating websites. Also, they list key points to evaluating websites plus they listed other websites that could be of help as well.
Cornell University Library >Research Help > Introduction to References > Evaluating resources or Google > Typed Evaluating Websites > Clicked on Cornell library website (1st hit)

1 comment:

MsCoCo said...

I am the same way when it comes to searching databases like Google because when I see the .edu, I get excited because I know I am getting good info. But for .org, I am not too sure about that unless I know the source because anyone can get credit to be called an org and be about nothing in my opinion.